What we expect from you
Parent & Student Responsibility
It’s our view that risk management is a partnership between all parties and a process that should start before even enrolling in the program.
Parents, you know your children best, so it’s important to learn as much as you can about the AQ experience so you can make an informed decision as to whether our program is a good fit at this stage of your child’s development.
Through experience, we know that each student has his or her own personal comfort zone. Whether related to immersing themselves in a new social environment, trying new activities or even tasting new foods, we are all a little different. Our goal is to create a challenging yet physically and emotionally safe environment for our students, yet the AQ experience is not necessarily for everyone.
Most AQ experiences are spent exclusively aboard a sailing vessel and the health and well-being of our students are top priorities. While most Adventures are only moderately physically challenging, all programs are designed to provide an intense emotional and interpersonal experience. Students are sometimes asked to do things they may not believe they are capable of doing. Part of our risk management process is to develop confidence that these activities can be accomplished. This confidence is based on our 40 years of experience and the skills of our instructors along with the measured expectation that the student is fully committed to working hard, taking responsibility for him or her self to work effectively in the group to achieve the goals of the program. We expect the following from our students on all of our teen summer trips:
Display Appropriate Behavior
- Follow the conduct guidelines as laid out in the AQ Student Code of Conduct Agreement
- Work effectively as a member of a team despite potentially stressful and difficult conditions. This may require problem-solving on an interpersonal or group level as well as a willingness to accept differences.
- Contribute to a safe learning environment—no inappropriate verbal or physical behavior toward others is tolerated for any reason.
- Be able to willingly and equally share responsibility with crewmates in daily group tasks. Each student may not do an equal share each day, but over a period of several days, each student should do a proportionate share. All students are learning the skills and being challenged by the conditions and activities; there can be no expectation that any other student will be able to continually assume a greater share of the work or that an instructor can continually focus a greater share of his/her energy and time on one student.
- Effectively communicate ideas and concerns on an individual and group level.
- Have the cognitive ability to learn necessary skills given normal time limitations of an AQ experience.
Personal Safety & Good Judgement
- Be able to stay alert and to focus attention for up to several hours at a time while attending classes, or receiving instructions.
- If taking prescription medications, be able to maintain proper dosage by self-medicating without assistance from instructors or others (unless otherwise discussed with ActionQuest).
- Be able to effectively signal or notify instructors or other student crewmembers of personal distress, injury, or need for assistance.
- Recall and understand hazards and risks previously explained by instructors.
- Be able to independently identify and recognize obvious hazards, such as rough water, collision hazards, purposely capsizing sailing dinghies and other risks associated with the marine environment.
- Recognize and understand the hazards and risks posed by other crew members, which include, but are not limited to, fatigue, state of mind, and actions that may influence judgment and decision-making.
- Be able to effectively alert and warn others of potential or impending dangers such as broken equipment, shifting wind or sea states or other environmental hazards.
- Act responsibly around above-stated hazards to minimize risk even when not directly supervised.
Understand The Inherent Risks
Many of the risks that exist during an ActionQuest Adventure are inherent to international travel and the adventure activities in which we participate. Most can’t be eliminated without destroying the unique character of the program and the activities themselves. Take a moment to download a copy of both our Declaration of Risk and Liability Release as we believe that reviewing and discussing ways to mitigate personal risk as a family is important to do before committing to join an AQ program.
We work with International SOS and MedAire to provide integrated medical support for the remote environments throughout which we travel. International SOS and MedAire are US-based companies with an international footprint. Through a single point of contact, our Membership extends us world-class medical advice, security services, and evacuation coordination anywhere in the world.
Because we want to be prepared for every scenario, we facilitate International SOS and MedAire membership for every student. A critical piece of this plan is that this membership also provides 24/7 access to a robust network of doctors and security services both before and during the trip.
Who are International SOS and MedAire?
International SOS and MedAire are the world’s leading provider of medical, security, emotional support, and logistical expertise for international travelers. As part of our ongoing commitment to the safety of our participants, we have partnered with International SOS and MedAire to keep our participants healthy, safe, and secure during their time with us.
Traveling internationally comes with inherent risks. No matter the problem, International SOS and MedAire will coordinate any medical, security, or evacuation needs when participants or staff require them. Their global assistance centers have vetted medical facilities all over the world and have access to resources to aid in an emergency. So if a participant requires an evacuation from a sailing vessel in the Caribbean, loses their medication in the Australian rainforest or needs to speak with a doctor offshore – International SOS and MedAire are there to support them 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, anywhere in the world.
What are the benefits of this membership?
Before and throughout the trip, our staff and participants can access International SOS medical or security staff anytime by phone, email or through their app. International SOS thoroughly understand the complexities of medical care in remote settings and radically improves the quality of our onsite medical care.
How do I use my International SOS membership before travel?
International SOS prepares you before you travel by providing on-call access to experts that can help you become informed about the places you’ll be traveling. Specifically, your membership entitles you to medical information, security assistance, and any precautions you can take before going abroad. Here’s some of the information International SOS can advise you on before your program:
By phone or by email:
- Medical Information
- Vaccination Advice
- Security Information
- Transportation & Accomodation Considerations
- Cultural Considerations
- Visa and Passport Information and Assistance
- Specific information on countries and large cities
- Level and types of risks
- Local customs and political considerations
- Practical considerations like communications and currency
How do I use my International SOS membership while traveling?
Through ActionQuest Staff, participants will have access to all of the professional medical and security expertise that comes with an International SOS membership. If a participant has a medical concern they should check with their staff members who’ll determine the best course of action. When appropriate, they will contact International SOS doctors who will advise on treatment and refer to one of their previously vetted medical facilities if necessary.
While traveling GXG groups will have access to:
- Medical and emergency advice including referrals to doctors and specialists all over the world.
- Coordination and verification of treatment with the treating practitioner.
- Guaranteed payment of medical expenses provided for in your health insurance contract.
- Email alert in the event of a health or security risk develops in a country.
- Assistance in the event a passport or other official document is lost or stolen.
- Referral to vetted security and medical service providers.
In the event of an emergency:
- Emergency medical evacuation/repatriation.
- Compassionate visit and family travel assistance.
- Hospital follow-up, control of healthcare expenses.
- Recommendations in the event of an emergency or critical event.
- Organization of the evacuation and repatriation by our teams of in-field expert, through to the final destination.
What does my International SOS and Medaire membership cost?
Because we want to be prepared for every scenario, we facilitate International SOS membership and MedAire for every participant. We will add the membership fee as a separate item on your tuition invoice, and prior to the program, we’ll send all of your International SOS and MedAire membership details. While we understand that this is an additional fee, we believe our participants and their families will appreciate the value of their services along with the peace of mind that this resource brings. The cost of the membership is:
- $50 per student for Adventures up to 14-days.
- $70 per student for 17 and 21-day Adventures.
- $100 per student for 40 and 50-day Adventures.
Does my membership cover medical expenses?
No, International SOS and MedAire are not medical insurance providers so they will not pay for medical treatment expenses. International SOS and MedAire are the world’s leading providers of medical, security, emotional support, and logistical expertise for international travelers so our partnership covers the cost of these services including up to $1,000,000 coverage for medical, sickness or security-related evacuation expenses and coordination fees.
That said, as part of their service, International SOS and MedAire will guarantee payment to medical care providers in order to begin necessary treatment. They do this because many countries around the world have medical systems that require upfront payment before treatment, even in an emergency. International SOS and MedAire will guarantee and pay up-front costs associated with their medical care to ensure you receive immediate treatment. Ultimately, the participant and/or their family are responsible for paying for medical treatment rendered. For this reason, all participants are required to have comprehensive medical insurance coverage prior to traveling overseas with us. While some domestic insurance policies provide coverage while overseas, many do not, and those that do often prohibit some of the more adventurous activities included in our programs. We suggest that you check with your insurance provider on what is and is not covered while traveling with us, then determine whether purchasing an additional short term international policy is a prudent decision.
Participants from the U.S. or Canada:
During the enrollment application process, parents have the opportunity to select an insurance policy through TripMate. This policy covers program tuition, airline tickets, and up to $25,000 of international medical insurance. TripMate or a similar travel insurance plan can help fill gaps between your domestic medical insurance policy and International SOS and MedAire membership. Go to www.actionquest.com/trip-insurance/ to learn more about TripMate insurance.
ActionQuest Participants from outside the U.S. or Canada:
For students who are residents of countries other than the U.S. or Canada, Abroad Insurance offers a policy with medical and tuition coverage. In addition to coverage of trip cancellation or interruption, this policy offers up to $100,000 of international medical insurance. Since ActionQuest cannot purchase this plan on behalf of the participant, it must be purchased directly from Abroad Insurance. Go to www.actionquest.com/trip-insurance/ to learn more about Abroad insurance.
What information do I need before calling International SOS or MedAire?
Your membership is automatically activated once you are confirmed on our program. Once enrolled, you will receive your membership number along with a digital copy of the ActionQuest International SOS and MedAire membership card with all the information you’ll need for assistance. The membership number is all that is required to access International SOS and MedAire by phone, through their website, and/or mobile application. Participants will receive a physical copy of their membership card to carry while they are on program.
How does International SOS and MedAire assist with evacuations?
International SOS and MedAire are the world’s leading medical and security services company and all participants have access to their global response network. Through their 27 assistance centers, International SOS and MedAire operate from over 850 sites in 70 countries with 1,400 physicians and 200 security specialists on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Not only does International SOS and MedAire have the ability to coordinate and support evacuation services almost anywhere in the world but through our agreement, International SOS and MedAire will pay up to $1,000,000 for emergency evacuation expenses as well. Whether for medical reasons, inclement weather, or security threats – International SOS and MedAire can coordinate professional evacuation services at any point.
Who do I contact with questions about International SOS and MedAire?
For clarification on what’s available through your International SOS and MedAire membership, feel free to call into the ActionQuest office or email Info@ActionQuest.com with any questions.
“I can honestly say that not one detail was left for question. We felt clear on everything and you exceeded our expectations. Our daughter felt safe, had a blast, and has come home with the passion of diving.”
“The program changes the teens in a positive manner. We found them to be more independent, helpful and ready to face new challenges. The friendships that they made and the memories they cherish are life changing!”
“ActionQuest will forever be our daughter's childhood memory. Every year has been amazing for her. I do tend to be a worrier but with AQ I know she is well taken care of in any situation. It's simply a life changing experience for her.”
“We cannot speak highly enough about the ActionQuest program. This is an outstanding experience for teenagers. This is a well planned, well executed and detailed expedition with every consideration for the welfare and health, (mentally and physically) of the young adult.”