Location: Civitavecchia, Italy

Today everyone woke up bright and early for our exciting Rome day! It started at 5:30 am when I woke everyone up. We did our usual breakfast, discussion, and jobs before heading out for the big day. Everyone excitedly sat on the hour-long train ride, and a few of us took a nap. Our first stop was the Coliseum. We all split into groups and got to walk around the beautiful structure. We took loads of pictures and of course, had to stop in the gift shop. It was really amazing to see something most of us have only seen in pictures. After waiting for a few stragglers, we got a chance to look around in a couple of shops and tried to fend off the very persistent street vendors. Then we got to head over to the Fontana di Trevi. It sadly was under construction. However, they did have a small temporary fountain where some of us threw coins behind our heads and watched as they fell in. We learned that if you get one coin in, you will return back to Rome, two coins in you will fall in love with an Italian, and three coins you would marry an Italian. Then we all split up and grabbed lunch, strolled around, and of course, grabbed Gelato. My group went to an outdoor restaurant where we were served various kinds of pasta and pizza. Then we all met up again to head over to the Vatican. As soon as we arrived, we were all amazed by how large and beautiful it was. We took some silly group pictures outside, and then some of the group headed in. They all said they thought it was absolutely stunning, and it was a really inspiring experience. The other group that did not go to the Vatican decided to explore the city some more. We took a bus and saw a castle and headed over a bridge to grab more Gelato (we couldn’t resist), and we got to check out the local scene. Then our small group headed to a bus and ran quickly into a market to grab (yes more) food to bring to the boat. We all rushed to the checkout with food overflowing out of our arms. Just as we were about to place our items on the counter, we watch as the bus pulled up. We dropped our food, rushed out through the doors, and just as the bus doors were about to close, we managed to stop them and get onto the bus successfully. We all crammed onto the hot bus, where we all laughed because of the extremely hot conditions. I personally have never sweat so much in my life! It felt as though we had just gone swimming! After finally escaping the heat, we then walked to the train and found a market where we were finally able to grab a few snacks for the boat. We then hopped onto the train and soon met up with everyone as we rode home and talked about our amazing day. We made it back to Argo, where everyone met together for squeeze and got to eat a nice dinner of BBQ chicken. To me, and I’m sure many others, this was one of our best days on land.